Texas earns No. 3 seed in Lexington Region, opens tournament in Austin

2016-02-17_Texas_vs_Kansas_State_Joshua

The Longhorns limped into tournament season with losses in four of their last six games. But head coach Karen Aston’s squad still secured a No. 3 seed in the Lexington Region of the NCAA Tournament bracket, where No. 1 Notre Dame stands between Texas and a potential Final Four appearance in Dallas.

Stanford locked up the No. 2 seed in the Lexington Region. The Cardinal had its way with Texas back in November in a 71-59 triumph on its home court. Should Texas advance to the Sweet 16, a rematch with Stanford likely awaits.

To get there, Texas must first beat the No. 14 seed in the Lexington Region — Central Arkansas. The Bears compiled a 26-4 record en route to winning the Southland Conference tournament championship. Texas will host the Bears at the Frank Erwin Center on Friday.

Nothing comes easy in March, but should Aston’s team beat Central Arkansas at home Friday at 2:30 p.m., it will be rewarded with another game at the Erwin Center on Sunday. Texas would play the winner of No. 6 NC State and No. 11 Auburn.

This year marks the second straight in which the Longhorns have hosted the opening weekend of the tournament at the Erwin Center. Texas took care of Alabama State and Missouri in the at home last year.

The Longhorns have advanced one step further in the tournament each of the past three years. With a trip to the Elite Eight last year, another step further would land the Longhorns in the American Airlines Center for this year’s Final Four.