Women’s tennis takes on a pair of Oklahoma teams

The No. 30 Longhorns (7-5, 1-1 Big 12) made the trip north across the Red River on Friday for their first matchup of conference play.

While the end of spring break dragged on, Texas didn’t get any breaks at all — its first matchup of conference play was against No. 8 Oklahoma State (14-3, 2-0 Big 12) in Stillwater.

Texas came into the match with some momentum after a narrow victory against Rice on Monday, March 13. The Longhorns just barely got past the Owls with a 4-3 victory, thanks to their win in the doubles competition.

Texas knew it had quite a formidable opponent in the highly ranked Cowgirls, who were already on a dominant five-game win streak before the match. The Longhorns’ youth was very evident as the team could not find any traction in as hostile environment.

Texas quickly dropped the doubles point with back-to-back losses at the first and second doubles position, and the rest of the match went downhill from there.

“I’m really disappointed for our group from the standpoint of what was invested tonight,” head coach Howard Joffe said.

The Longhorns would drop three consecutive singles matches with losses from 62nd-ranked freshman Petra Granic, junior Dani Wagland and 26th-ranked freshman Bianca Turati to give the Cowgirls an overwhelming 4-0 victory.

“Tonight we came up short, but if we continue to perform like we did we will be on a trajectory to be a powerhouse team sooner or later,” Joffe said.

Texas would stay in the state of Oklahoma for a second conference matchup Sunday against rival No. 39 Oklahoma Sooners (10-4, 0-2) in Norman.

Texas looked to bounce back against the Sooners with the bitter taste of the shutout loss from Friday still on its tongue.

The Longhorns were able to get the early doubles points as the pairings of senior Neda Koprcina and freshman Anna Turati, and freshman Bianca Turati and sophomore Katie Poluta both earned victories with 6-2 counts.

“It was nice to see our doubles get some convincing wins that set the stage for a solid singles performance,” Joffe said.

Texas would stay hot off the doubles win as Granic would dominate Oklahoma’s Malene Stripp in first singles for a victory with counts of  6-0, 6-2.

The Longhorns kept their feet on the pedal, winning two out of the next three matches to earn a 4-1 victory against the Sooners as the rest of the matches were suspended.

Texas will continue play this coming Friday and Sunday looking to get above .500 in conference play with matches against No. 7 Texas Tech and TCU.