Students must change culture, individual behavior to end interpersonal violence

Liza Anderson

The Cultivating Learning and Safe Environments survey, which examined the prevalence of sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking and harassment at UT, was just released. And while the numbers reported are harrowing, they are by no means shocking. We have known for years that interpersonal violence is a problem at this University, but hopefully this will be a call to action for every person on this campus to take a stand against violence.

Some key findings of the study are listed below:
•    16 percent of all students of all genders have experienced rape or attempted rape.
•    28 percent of all female undergraduates reported having experienced sexual violence since their enrollment at UT.
•    10 percent of all students have experienced physical violence and 8 percent have experienced psychological abuse in a relationship.
•    22 percent of female undergraduates have experienced stalking.

Our campus has a population of 51,000 students — these numbers are in no sense small. But it is easy to forget the human side of this when we talk about statistics and percentages. According to this survey, approximately 8,160 students have experienced attempted rape or rape. While this is unacceptable, we must accept it as the reality. It is our hope that this survey will be a call to action for every person on this campus to take a stand against violence.

The motto of BeVocal, the bystander intervention initiative, is, “Longhorns take care of each other.” As Longhorns, it is our duty to support each and every student who has experienced interpersonal violence, and we must prevent violence before an incident ever occurs.

The only way we can end the epidemic of interpersonal violence at UT is to change the culture and our individual behavior. Do not perpetuate violence. Always get consent and treat your partners with respect. Do not allow violence to be perpetuated. If you see a situation that looks potentially harmful, intervene. If a survivor tells you their story, believe them, listen to what they have to say and offer resources.

For example, Voices Against Violence is a program of the Counseling and Mental Health Center that works to prevent interpersonal violence and support survivors. VAV offers individual and group counseling and advocacy services as well as the Survivor’s Emergency Fund, which provides survivors with financial assistance for any expense related to an experience of violence.

As president of the Voices Against Violence student organization, I want every survivor at UT reading this to know that we see you, we believe you, and we support you. Your experience is valid, and what happened was not your fault.

If there’s anything you take away from this survey, let it be the fact that you’re not alone — as difficult as it is, there are thousands of other students on this campus who have experienced something similar.

Goldstein is the president of the Voices Against Violence student organization. To learn more about the resources that VAV offers, visit tinyurl/utvav. If you need immediate assistance, call CMHC’s crisis line at 512-471-2255. To file a Title IX report, visit titleix.utexas.edu/file-a-report.