Texas soccer hires new assistant coach

Texas endured a long, trying season in 2016. The Longhorns posted a subpar 8-9-1 record en route to falling short of the cutline for its own conference tournament.

Such seasons often result in shakeups near the top, and that’s just what happened this week. Head coach Angela Kelly announced Keri Sanchez as her next assistant coach.

Sanchez was formerly head coach at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, and Kelly said it still speaks to the high regard of the Texas program for it to be able to hire former head coaches as assistants.

“Keri brings a host of talents and experience to the table, from a coaching standpoint as well as a successful playing background,” Kelly said. “Her loyalty, relentless work ethic and a deep desire to pursue excellence makes this hire so tremendous.”

Sanchez compiled a 148-92-30 record during her 13-year stint at CMS. She’s the all-time winningest coach in program history.  

Even more impressive might be Sanchez’s playing career. She played at North Carolina from 1991-94, where she won four-straight national titles. Coming to Texas is a reunion of sorts — Sanchez and Kelly were teammates on those dominant UNC teams.

“I am excited to work with the committed soccer staff and a tremendous group of talented young women. I look forward to helping to build on the incredible tradition that is Texas Athletics and
Texas Soccer.”