Longhorns battle through up-and-down second day of Relays

After an impressive first day at the Texas Relays by the Longhorns’ multi group, Texas was snared by a few setbacks on day two.

Junior Steele Wasik, who set personal records in four events Wednesday, was unable to clear the opening height of 4.00 meters in the pole vault, resulting in zero points. 

Freshman George Patrick elected to forgo the final three events of the day after tweaking his left hamstring. 

At the end of the day, Wasik dropped from fourth to 13th place in the decathlon, and Patrick did not finish after sitting in sixth place on Wednesday.

However, it wasn’t all bad news for the Longhorns. Redshirt junior decathlete Wolf Mahler earned personal bests in the 110-meter hurdles and the discus throw and also won the 1500-meter dash. His overall score of 7,897, which put him in third place, was No. 4 in school history and a personal best as well.

“I think it just shows where Wolf’s at right now in his career,” head coach Mario Sategna said. “I think if we had a little bit better wind in the pole vault, he could have scored 8,000 points. He was very consistent in all his events.”

Senior Byron Robinson won his heat in the men’s 400-meter hurdles. His time of 51.21 seconds put him in sixth place, enough to qualify for Friday’s final race. 

But Robinson still believes his best performance is yet to come.

“I’m happy,” Robinson said. “It’s natural for me — I feel like I’m back at home. I see each meet as a building block or a stepping stone. Now is where the real season starts.”