Texas golf back in action at Aggie Invitational

Mary Pistorius

The No. 16 men’s golf team will compete in the Aggie Invitational this weekend in Bryan, Texas.

The tournament will span two days — April 1 and 2 — and is hosted at Traditions Golf Club. 

The tournament marks one of the last tune-ups for the team before post-season play. Texas will also compete in the Western Intercollegiate next weekend before the Big 12 Championships during the last week of April.

The Longhorns look to build on the success they found in the final round of the Valspar Collegiate two weeks ago. The team posted a final-round total of 276 — the lowest team round of the tournament — to finish in a tie for fourth. 

“Eight under par was a good way to finish today’s round,” head coach John Fields said following the final round. “(It) will provide momentum going into the final two events prior to our postseason.”

The field for the tournament is full of quality teams and will provide Texas with a strong test before the postseason. 

No. 4 Oklahoma State, the defending Aggie Invitational champion, headlines the field. Other top-25 teams include No. 2 Baylor, No. 9 Kent State, No. 5 LSU, No. 11 Texas Tech and No. 19 Texas A&M. 

Texas’ lineup will be led by junior Doug Ghim and is followed by Scottie Scheffler, Spencer Soosman, Steven Chervony and Nick Costello. Junior Taylor Funk will compete as an individual.

The tournament will span 54 holes — 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday — and tee times will begin at 7:30 a.m. each day.