Women’s tennis set for long weekend road trip

2017-03-25_Tennis_VS_Texas_Tech_Angel
Angel Ulloa

The No. 21 Longhorns (8–6, 2–2 Big 12) were all smiles as they walked off the courts in Austin last Sunday after dealing a crushing shutout loss to a No. 27 TCU squad.

No. 37 freshman Bianca Turati put on yet another tremendous display as she took down the Horned Frogs 81st-ranked Seda Arantekin in straight sets.

“She’s someone who is tired but she’s also tough as can be and will fight to the end. Bianca did that today,” head coach Howard Joffe said. “She got us over the finish line, and I’m very proud of her.”

Texas is in for quite a long trip this weekend, which consists of two conference matches across the country. The Longhorns will travel to Morgantown to take on West Virginia (4–9, 0–3 Big 12) on Friday, and then make their way to up to Ames, Iowa to take on Iowa State (15–4,1–2 Big 12) on Sunday. 

West Virginia has had immense struggles thus far in the season. The Mountaineers are currently on a four-game losing streak with three of those losses being in conference. This season has seemed to fail almost all expectations for the blue and gold, only having won four matches this late in the season, all with close counts of 4–3.

Texas must enter this match with West Virginia focused and ready to dominate in order to finally pull that conference record above .500 for the first time this season.

The Cyclones have had an exceptionally good nonconference season, but have struggled greatly in conference play. The last two conference outings for Iowa State were devastating shutout losses to Kansas State and Kansas on the road.

Much like Texas, Iowa State is looking to turn their conference season around this weekend and get on track before the Big 12 Championship rolls around.

Similar to West Virginia, Iowa State’s squad does not include any ranked players. While this bodes well for the Longhorns, they still have to focus and come together as a team this weekend to better their conference standings.

The first serve for Texas’ match against the Mountaineers is Friday at 3:30 p.m. ET.