Texas issues statement following Roliard’s hospitalization

Kevin Roliard got off to a strong start in his first year at the 40 Acres, maintaining a 0.00 ERA through 4.2 innings pitched, but he won’t get to improve upon those numbers in the near future.

Texas announced Friday that the freshman pitcher is not with the team at this time.

Specific details have not been released, but Roliard’s parents, Brenda and Larry Roliard, said their son has been dealing with personal issues and was hospitalized with an injury on Sunday March 26. 

“We truly appreciate those who came to his aid and are thankful that Kevin is on the road to recovery,” Roliard’s parents said. “We appreciate the many well wishes we’ve received, and we hope you’ll continue to keep Kevin in your thoughts and prayers. We also ask that everyone recognizes this is a very difficult time for our family and will continue to respect our privacy.”

The Spring, Texas, native — who was recruited in his time at Klein High School — made five appearances on the mound in relief duty so far in his first season on the 40 Acres. 

“Kevin has been a big part of the 2017 team since his arrival on campus back in the fall,” head coach David Pierce said. “We’ve been in constant contact with his family this week and have been to the hospital to visit Kevin. The Roliards are all members of our Longhorn baseball family, and we will do everything we can to support all of them during this difficult time.”

Texas men’s athletics director Mike Perrin said he and Pierce visited the hospital to talk with the Roliards, but no information regarding the specificity of the injury can be released at this time. 

“Our baseball team was made aware, and they and any other members of our athletics community are being provided with access to counseling and support,” Perrin said. “Our thoughts are with Kevin, his health and well-being and his family as he recovers. Out of respect for them, we won’t be able to say anything further at this time and hope everyone will honor their wishes of privacy.” 

As the Longhorns continue to support the Roliard family, they don’t have much time to forget about their six-game winning streak being snapped in Lawrence last weekend in the 2-1 series loss.

The Longhorns will look to return to the win column as they prepare for a non-conference battle with Pierce’s former team, Sam Houston State, tonight at 6:30 p.m. at UFCU-Disch Faulk Field. 

The Bearkats hosted Texas on Feb. 22, marking the Longhorns’ first road game at Don Sanders Stadium in Huntsville in program history. 

Sophomores dominated on the mound in the first matchup between the Longhorns and Bearkats. Nolan Kingham threw for a five inning shutout followed by dominant performances from Beau Ridgeway and Chase Shugart. 

The three sophomores combined for 11 strikeouts as junior catcher Michael Cantu and Travis blasted two home runs to break the game open en route to a 7-2 victory in Huntsville.