UT professor and playwright sends intellectually rigorous and politically urgent message

Courtesy of Underground Vortex Creative Team

Lisa B. Thompson, African and African Diaspora studies associate professor and playwright, aims to ask her audience how willing they are to put themselves in discomfort to help others in her play, “Underground.”

“Underground,” which shows the progression of the Civil Rights Movement from slavery to Black Lives Matter, premiered March 24 and will run until April 5 at The Vortex, a theatre known for displaying urgent and unashamed art, according to director Rudy Ramirez. Thompson emphasizes the importance of studying the past to create a better future. 

“It’s extremely timely, but also unfortunately timeless,” Thompson said.

Thompson’s goal is to start conversations among people in the comfortable upper and middle classes to make them more aware of their political stance. Thompson said she wants upper and middle class audiences to consider how much they are willing to sacrifice if they are not satisfied with how the world
is now.

“Our inaction is a profound action,” Thompson said. “It’s on everybody, especially those who are more privileged…If you’re not changing it, you’re
benefiting from it.” 

“Underground” is shown through African-American protagonists, Kyle and Mason, who meet for a game of chess but end up discussing Black liberation. Unlike Kyle, who came from a wealthy background and wants radical change, Mason worked his way up to middle class from poverty and wants gradual change.

Director Rudy Ramirez met Thompson when he was a graduate student in UT’s Performance of Public Practice graduate program. Ramirez encouraged Thompson to find a production company in Austin.

“Underground” is set in Mason’s house, which is near an Underground Railroad stop. Ramirez said realism was an important aspect of the set design.

“We have often created theatrical and fantastical settings, but for this one we went to show the socioeconomic background of actors,” Ramirez said. “We wanted it to be a portrait of Mason.”

Theatre sophomore Sam Kerner said art can communicate current problems facing society in a way news can’t.

“With theatre, the goal is more often to change, or to excite, or to question, or to interrogate — it’s active and it’s intentional,” Kerner said. “It’s more human than just watching the news, because it’s real people there with you, asking you to listen and understand.”