Women’s tennis extends conference win streak

Make that three in a row. The No. 21 Longhorns (10-6, 4-2) extended their conference win streak to three with another overwhelming display against the Iowa State Cyclones (15-6,1-4) Sunday morning.

Texas came into the match against Iowa State with momentum and confidence after shutting out its last two opponents.  

The Longhorns did not wait long to assert their dominance, taking the doubles competition with force. 

Freshmen Petra Granic and Bianca Turati steamrolled the Cyclones’ Samantha Budai and Maty Cancini with a 6-0 victory. Soon after, sophomore Daniella Roldan and junior Dani Wagland locked down the doubles point with a 6-2 win in third doubles.

Texas showed no signs of slowing down as it entered the singles competition with a 1-0 lead. 

The Longhorns played their best singles matches of the season, not giving up a single set on their way to a shutout victory, 4-0.

“Without question, the ladies’ focus and drive are improving,” head coach Howard Joffe said. “It was good to enjoy a convincing win today, but I know our group realizes more is demanded as we enter the last six weeks of the season.”

Granic brought the highlight performance of the match for the Longhorns. Granic seemed unfazed during her match at third singles, winning point after point on the way to a stunning 6-1, 6-0 victory.

While Granic did have a career day, the rest of the young Texas squad also showed out in Ames, Iowa. The Longhorns did not drop a single set on their way to their third-straight victory. 

“If our collective drive is strong, I see us storming to the finish line this year,” Joffe said.

Texas continues conference play on April 12 when it travels to Waco to take on Baylor.