Racist flyers appear around campus Tuesday

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Flyers containing a racist message and image were found on campus yesterday, according to posts on social media.

The flyers depicted a caricature of a black man holding a knife alongside the words “Around blacks … never relax.” The flyers also contained the web address for the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website.

Erica Saenz, associate vice president for community and external relations, said the University has been notified about the flyers and is currently in the process of responding to the issue and removing them from campus. Saenz said the flyers have been reported to the Office of the Dean of Students for further investigation in accordance with the University’s Hate and Bias Incidents Policy enacted in March.

“The words and ideas contained on the flyers were hateful, divisive and run counter to the values of our university,” Saenz said in an email. “They will be taken down.”

A Facebook post by a UT student said a flyer was found on an emergency call box near the Littlefield Fountain, although the exact number and locations of the flyers around campus is unknown.

Education senior Denise Zamora said the flyers are a misguided response to yesterday’s events.

“I think they took it too far,” Zamora said. “I think people should just face up and talk about their problems instead of doing things to threaten other people.”

After flyers targeting Muslim and immigrant minorities were found in February, President Gregory Fenves responded by calling a town hall meeting to address the issue. However, at the meeting no plans were solidified to combat on-campus hate crimes.

English junior Emily Varvel said there are issues regarding intolerance on campus, especially considering the anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim flyers from earlier in the semester. The University should take action in response to the postings, Varvel said.

“It doesn’t need to be swept under the rug,” Varvel said. “There needs to be policies that form more cohesion between everyone on campus.”

Physics junior Ahmad Al Sulami said this response is to be expected given the violent nature of yesterday’s incident, but that it still can’t be justified. Al Sulami said he hopes the University will promote tolerance on campus.

“It’s very important to address the issue and kind of give the clear fact that generalization is not really appropriate,” Al Sulami said.