What to watch for: Longhorn athletic squads look to finish strong

The spring semester comes to a close today, but that doesn’t put an end to plenty of Longhorn seasons as multiple sports have yet to conclude. 

Head coach David Pierce’s No. 24 Longhorn baseball squad doesn’t wrap up conference play until May 21 after a three-game series with West Virginia. After the conference tournament that follows, his team looks to continue the Longhorns’ rich tradition with another run to Omaha. 

Texas softball wraps up its regular season with a three-game series set against Baylor this weekend. Then, head coach Connie Clark and company are off to Oklahoma City to compete for the Big 12 Championship May 12 and 13. 

No. 11 Texas men’s tennis starts its run for a national title on May 12. Should the Longhorns advance through the first round, they could potentially play all the way through May 29 as they search for a championship. 

On the women’s end of the court, Texas women’s tennis faces a similar schedule, with the first round starting on May 12. A champion won’t be crowned until late May as well. 

On the golf course, head coach John Fields’ team hosts an NCAA Regional at UT Golf Club from May 15 to May 17. If the Longhorns make it through their home regional, they’ll compete for an NCAA title from May 26 through May 31. 

The women’s golf team, who like the men captured a Big 12 title last month, have an opportunity to play for national glory over those same dates. 

Lastly, an outdoor track and field champion will not be crowned until early June. Head coach Mario Sategna aims to bring a championship back home to Austin.