30: Design editor warns against joining Texan

2017-05-02_30_Elizabeth_Jones_Zoe
Zoe Fu

My advice to the students at The University of Texas at Austin: Do not work for The Daily Texan. You will be required to confine yourself to the basement of the communications complex for long periods of time. That you will never again feel the warmth of the sun on your skin is a very real possibility. The only forms of sustenance you will find in this fluorescently-lit wasteland are stale cookies and a fun-sized candy bar. Your only companions are ancient computers and the office opossum. I implore you, count to three, take a breath, and walk away from The Daily Texan should you have any inclination to apply here. If I haven’t convinced you yet, here are a few more reasons NOT to work at The Daily Texan: 

1. You are forced to spend your time and become friends with some of the best people in the entire state of Texas — looking at all you past and present Design Dogs.

2. The Texan will teach you valuable lifelong skills such as cooperation, time-management, and initiative. Yuck. 

3. You might be prone to laugh. A lot. It’s the worst. 

4. The Texan’s advisor will drive you up the wall. He has horrible taste in music, an extreme commitment to Staff Olympics, and an affinity for snapping ugly photos of people. 

5. Your peers will challenge you and there is a chance you could become a better designer, writer, photographer, artist, or all the above (thank you Ginny, Iliana, and Kelly!). 

6. Pride for what you do at the Texan is understandable and likely. After all, we are the award-winningest (is that a word?) college newspaper in the nation.  

7. You will be exposed to an eclectic work soundtrack, everything from DMX to Frank Sinatra. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the countless hours of smooth jazz played in the basement. 

8. Dogs visit The Daily Texan office frequently. But really, we all know that puppies are unbearable. 

9. Coffee will become the only fluid in your body. A hefty “you’re welcome” to all campus coffee suppliers.   

10. Fun is inevitable. The Daily Texan staff is so diverse and wonderful that there is never, never a dull moment. 

In all seriousness, I would not trade my time at the Texan for anything. It is one of my best and favorite experiences at the University of Texas. True, it was not always a walk in the park but few good things ever are. I am grateful for and proud of every designer on my staff. You all made it! Thank you to each person that ever made a paper with me. You make The Daily Texan what it is.