30: Photographer grateful for free concerts

ZOE_9135
Zoe Fu

When I first tried out for The Daily Texan my freshman year in Spring 2013, I did not think I would get the position, as the only photos I took during the tryout process were at Graffiti Park of just the art with no people in them. My very first photo that was printed was one of The Flaming Lips at SXSW 2013. I knew nothing about music photography and was clueless on how to shoot in low-light situations. The fall and spring of my sophomore year I did not make the staff, which kind of hurt me. I had second thoughts on whether or not I was a good photographer and kind of stopped doing photography all together for quite some time that year.

I got back on staff and worked my way up to a senior photographer, associate photo editor and then ultimately photo editor in fall 2016. I would have never thought that I would be the photo editor at any point working for the Texan, but with Rachel Zein telling me to be editor, I went for it and am very thankful for her motivating me. A lot of amazing people guided me and I learned from them. Amy helped by giving me endless opportunities and advice. I can never forget the SXSW memories in the basement at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m., with her and Stephanie letting me sleep while she tagged my photos and made the slideshows.

He may not know this, but Daulton helped me transition into photo editor and taught me a lot of things, from making online content to making slideshows to editorial decisions. Serving as one of my associate photo editors, Stephanie was always there to talk music with me, as we would shoot many concerts and festivals together and learn from each other.

From getting to shoot two presidents, Kanye West, Panic! At The Disco, Red Hot Chili Peppers and my queen Ariana Grande, The Daily Texan has given me endless opportunities that I thought would’ve never happened. The trips to El Tacorrido and the Mexican bakery with Zoe, Emmanuel, Angel and occasionally Matthew “The GOAT” Adams will be cherished forever and I will continue to eat barbacoa tacos in honor of Zoe. My precious young Mary, always positive and spreading those vibes around the office, will be remembered.

One of the greatest people I have met and one of my best friends, Angel: Thank you for being there for me, feeding me, taking me places and talking to me.

It has been an amazing run with The Daily Texan: eight semesters on staff, amazing people, great times, and good memories. To the people remaining on staff: “Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good.”
–30–