UT stabbing suspect makes first appearance in court Wednesday

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Biology junior Kendrex White, suspect in the deadly UT stabbing that took place May 1, made his first appearance in a court hearing Wednesday morning, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Travis County state District Judge Tamara Needles told White’s lawyers Wednesday to bring her the 700-page report from White’s first evaluation “as soon as humanly possible” to decide whether to approve a request by the district attorney’s office for additional testing. White’s lawyers had an expert evaluate White’s mental health while in jail.

“The game plan needs to benefit everyone because the community is watching closely,” Needles said.

White is accused of killing 19-year-old Harrison Brown and injuring three others in a random stabbing attack on campus May 1.

According to the Austin American-Statesman, White did not consult with his attorneys during the hearing and stared down at the table with little facial expression.

State prosecutors filed three motions to examine White’s mental health to determine if he is fit to stand trial. Prosecutor Bill Bishop asked that the state appoint a doctor on its own accord to perform an examination for competency and insanity, both of which can determine if White’s ability to stand trial.  

“Their doctor is not a disinterested expert,” Bishop said. “The information he’s been given is controlled by the defense.”

Bishop requested the tests be done as soon as possible so White’s mental state does not shift since the day of the attack.

On Thursday, Needles ruled in favor of a second medical examination of White to determine his competency, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The new test could come as soon as Friday.