Celebrate National Mutt Day at local pet-friendly places

2017-07_31_National_Mutt_Day_Evelyn
Evelyn Moreno

Between its many dog parks and pup-friendly patios, Austin is known to welcome pets and people alike. Take the advantage of the city’s most paw-pular bars, restaurants and activities to celebrate your pooch today, on National Mutt Day.

Austin Beer Garden and Brewery
Even canine customers would agree with ABGB’s philosophy, “Beer Makes It Better.”* Best known for their beer and pizza, ABGB also offers dog treats made out of leftover grains from their home beer-brewing process. This Beer Garden/Brewery truly embodies the Austin food and drink scene with its house-made beers, but they also host live music performances Saturdays.  

*Do not actually give dogs beer

Yard Bar
Aside from its expansive selection of food, beer and cocktails, Yard Bar is probably best known for its off-leash dog park. This dog park features a full bar for the humans, but everything else for their dogs — agility equipment (hoops to jump through and tunnels to crawl inside of) and supervisors (called bark rangers, who are there to keep the play safe). The park requires day passes but also offers monthly and annual memberships, which can be accessed here. Word of warning: The Yard Bar is 21 and up for all humans, and they do not count dog years.

Banger’s Sausage House and Beer Garden
With 30 house-made sausages and over 100 beers on tap, customers know Banger’s best for it’s social environment and inventive menu. They even sell specialty sausage made specifically for visiting dogs. Its large outdoor area is not only filled with picnic benches for group seating, but it also provides water bowls for pups. Published on their site: “We really like dogs, and … we think they like us too.”

Topgolf
Day or night, Topgolf is always a fun go-to activity. In every location, this golf entertainment complex is a popular local hangout for pooches and people, where the people can hit golf balls off of the upper levels into a 240-yard outfield and the pooches can slurp up water from their bowls. They also offer a large selection of food and drinks, which you can access on their website — you, your friends and your friends’ furry friends can hang out for hours.

Mozart’s Coffee Roasters
This favorite study spot sits atop Lake Austin, giving its guests a great view from every angle (as seen in the homepage slideshow). The cafe and bakery offers a large, shaded outdoor seating area on multiple levels, and both are lined with water bowls for your pooch. From Thursday to Sunday, Mozart’s also offers live music on its upper deck, making this a perfect spot to take a break from walking around the scenic area.

Buzzmill Coffee
Both a coffee shop and full-service bar, Buzzmill Coffee’s giant dog-friendly patio is open 24 hours a day. Come here with your dog to enjoy locally roasted coffee or homemade, infused liquors. They have exciting events posted on their website almost every day, such as a farmer’s market every Saturday and a comedy show every Wednesday.