Hurricane Harvey Campus Updates

2017-07-10_Tower_Joshua

UPDATE (3:26 p.m.): Mooov-In check-in moved to residence halls

Centralized Mooov-In check-in will be moved from UFCU Disch-Falk Field to residence halls on Saturday, according to an update on the DHFS website. For a list of where to check in and park tomorrow, check here.

UPDATE (1:33 p.m.): Parking and Transportation Services to open campus garages

Parking and Transportation Services will be opening all but two parking garages at 5 p.m. in anticipation of flash flooding caused by the hit of Hurricane Harvey, according to an email sent out this afternoon.

All campus garages except for the Conference Center and Health Center garages will be open and free until 10 a.m. this Monday.

Parking and Transportation Services encouraged students to move their vehicles to a second-level floor or higher in a a garage, and to avoid parking on San Jacinto Boulevard, 24th Street or 21st Street, as those areas are more susceptible to flash flooding.

Original Post: Mooov-In to continue as planned

UT’s Department of Housing and Food Service will continue with Mooov-In this weekend as planned despite threats of heavy rainfall resulting from Hurricane Harvey, said DHFS assistant director Shauna Sobers.

“Ultimately this Mooov-In is rain or shine,” Sobers said.

Because the majority of Mooov-In stations are inside, Sobers said the check-in process will remain largely unchanged from previous years. However, students and families can adapt to the weather by staying updated and being prepared, she said.

DHFS issued a Mooov-In weather notice Thursday afternoon encouraging those coming into their dorms to bring supplies such as umbrellas, ponchos and tarps to combat the weather.

The effects of Hurricane Harvey are expected to hit the Austin area late Friday night, leading into showers and thunderstorms Saturday and Sunday, according to a National Weather Service forecast. Austin is under a flash flood watch all weekend and may receive between 1–2 inches of rainfall by Saturday night.

If the move-in process is stalled by heavy weather, students will still be able to come into their dormitories if they choose to check in later, Sobers said.

“We recognize that students and families will continue to move in,” Sobers said. “Our front desk will be ready to move people in whenever they arrive.”

This fall marks the 24th annual Mooov-In weekend, to be run by 450 volunteers and even more staffers. Sobers said DHFS is expecting roughly 7400 students to move into the 14 residence halls on campus.

“We’re really excited for this group of students that are coming in,” Sobers said. “It might be raining, it might be sunshiney, but no matter what we’re welcoming them and giving them a kickstart to the academic year.”

For updates about the weather and its impact on Mooov-In weekend, students can check the housing services website at housing.utexas.edu or text UTMOVE to 888-777.