Texas earns best record since 2008 with consecutive unbeaten weekends

Zoe Fu

Texas remained unbeaten on the season with a pair of victories this weekend, culminating in a last-minute goal to secure a road win against the North Texas on Sunday. The victory marked Texas’ first 4-0 start to the season since 2008.

Prior to Sunday’s win, the Longhorns squared off against the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Friday night, taking the field in Austin just a few hours before the incoming rainstorm. With clouds swirling overhead, the burnt orange found themselves down early for the first time this season.

Trojan midfielder Doro Greulich connected from 12 yards out on a throw-in play from the right side nearly eleven minutes into the first period. It was the first shot on-goal for either side.

“We came out a little slow, and I don’t think we were expecting to get scored on first,” junior midfielder Kayra Dollas said. “All we could do was come back out stronger and try to at least tie it before half.”

It would be Dollas who completed the game-tying play late in the first half. The Orange, California native found the ball come her way off a corner kick, and sent an errant ricochet through the net. Heading to halftime, the game was tied at 1-1.

Coming out of the break in a deadlock, Texas again leaned on the emerging duo of sophomore Cyera Hintzen and freshman Haley Berg, who played together as club teammates in high school. Hintzen assisted Berg for the second time in three games, dishing the ball to Berg from nine yards out for the Longhorns’ second goal of the evening. The score was all Texas needed to defeat the Trojans 2-1.

“I think (Hintzen) has really been the reason for both of my goals, so props to her,” Berg said. “She’s really been the reason, so I give all the credit to her.”

Hintzen would come up huge again for Texas just two days later. 82 minutes into the match against UNT, both sides remained scoreless in spite of numerous opportunities. The Longhorns failed to get past Mean Green goalie Miranda Schoening, while sophomore Nicole Curry protected the net for Texas.

This time it would be Hintzen who took the shot, delivering a short goal off a corner kick with under 10 minutes remaining. The Longhorn defense stayed strong through the rest of the match, sealing a 1-0 Longhorn victory.

With the momentum of four wins behind them, the Longhorns will now travel to California for a two-game road-trip. Texas will take on Cal on Friday evening, and then travel up to Sacramento to battle Sacramento State on Sunday.