Opponents to Watch: vs. Maryland

Ty Johnson

Running back, #6

Johnson enters 2017 with his first 1,000-yard season of his collegiate year behind him. The junior shined on several occasions last year, breaking the 140-yard rushing mark four times. He set a career-high 204 yards in a 50-7 domination over Purdue last October — on only seven attempts. 

Maryland should be excited about Johnson entering as the team’s feature back in 2017 because of how he performed on the tail-end of 2016. In his final two contests, Johnson accumulated 327 yards on 26 carries, complemented with two touchdowns. 

The 5-foot-10-inch junior has also demonstrated his abilities to be effective in the receiving department, earning 206 yards last season.

Brendan Moore

Center, #64

Out of all of the players on the Terrapins’ roster, none should be as familiar with Darrell K. Royal Stadium and the surrounding areas as Moore. The Austin native is a product of Westwood High School, where he earned two First-Team All-District nods. The junior selected Maryland over several Texas schools and has excelled anchoring the Terrapins’ offensive line. 

The dependable Moore started 13 games at center last season for Maryland, blocking for an offense that produced 199.5 rushing yards per game. His success over the past season earned him a nod on the Dave Rimington Trophy watch list, the Heisman Trophy equivalent for centers among the college football landscape.

Jermaine Carter, Jr.

Inside linebacker, #1

Carter enters his senior season in College Park but has already built an impressive résumé during his tenure with the team. Carter led the Terrapins with a team-high 101 total tackles last season — the team’s primary run stopper. 

In 2015, Carter finished with 103 tackles and 14 tackles for loss, but he added much more versatility to his game last season. The senior recorded the first six sacks of his college career and intercepted his first pass, a pick-six in a win over FIU. He additionally defended four passes, forced two fumbles and recovered one himself. 

Carter is the versatile linebacker every team in college football seeks during recruiting, and he has one more season to lead Maryland to its first bowl victory since 2010.

J.C. Jackson

Cornerback, #7

This will be Jackson’s second season suiting up in red, white, black and yellow — the colors of the iconic Maryland flag. Jackson, a highly-touted four-star recruit and ESPN’s 79th top prospect in the class of 2014, transferred to Maryland after playing one game at Florida in 2014. The junior cornerback immediately became one of the Terrapins’ most effective contributors, notching 40 tackles, breaking up six passes and recovering two turnovers. 

Jackson reunited with head coach D.J. Durkin, a longtime assistant at Florida. With the graduation of star cornerback and return specialist William Likely, Jackson will assume a large leadership role on defense for Durkin’s program.