Texas remains undefeated after 30-yard field goal

Zoe Fu

The Longhorns departed for California over the weekend expecting two rigorous games against some of the nation’s top competition. Only one contest would actually occur.

Friday’s matchup against then-No. 25 California experienced a last-minute cancellation due to extreme temperatures and air quality concerns. Texas head coach Angela Kelly called the contest “the most important game of the season,” but forest fires north of the Bay Area proved too significant a threat.

With Friday’s game canceled, the team’s only matchup in California proceeded on Sunday at Hornet Stadium against Sacramento State. There, Texas played its signature brand of suffocating soccer, allowing only a single shot on goal in a 1–0 shutout victory. The win improved Texas’ record to 5–0 on the season. 

“(We’re) explosive on both sides of the ball,” Kelly said. “And they appreciate having the ball, so when they don’t have it, they want to get it back. That swarming mentality is probably conducive to less shots on goal.”

The game’s only score came at the 13-minute mark. Junior midfielder Katie Glenn earned her first points of 2017 off of a pass from fellow junior midfielder Kayra Dollas. Seeing the goalkeeper standing well off the line, Glenn launched a 30-yard bomb from near center field that sailed clean over the head of the Hornets’ netminder and into the twine.

“I just turned and saw the goalkeeper out,” Glenn said. “She was further out off of her line, so I just took a shot and hoped it went in. Being 5–0 is awesome. We’ve worked really hard this season, and we’re just continuing to compete and keeping a winning mentality heading into next weekend.”

The two teams exchanged shots for the remainder of the match, each finishing with 10 total attempts. Sacramento State’s only clean look came from forward Kylee Kim-Bustillos at the 23-minute mark, but the shot flew straight into the waiting arms of sophomore goalkeeper Nicole Curry.

Neither team was able to gain significant advantage on offense for the whole game, and Texas headed home sporting its best record in more than a decade. 

In five games this season, the Longhorns have allowed only two goals, while earning eight themselves. 

They’ll attempt to extend their unbeaten streak on Friday against No. 25 Colorado. This matchup will be Texas’ first against a ranked opponent this season. 

“I feel like we haven’t even played very well yet, which is exciting,” Kelly said. “‘Cause we’re figuring out ways to win. And it’s certainly not for a lack of creating opportunities. It’s also exciting knowing our organization can get so much better, and our buildup can get so much better. And the best has yet to come.”