Latino Pan-Hellenic Council showcases diversity in Greek life

09-12-17_gogreek_harper+yatvin42513
Harper Yatvin

The Latino Pan-Hellenic Council, LPHC, hosted its biannual showcase event Tuesday evening to show potential new members the values and traditions of its sororities and fraternities.

Five sororities and three fraternities talked about their organizations and performed various traditional dances and salutes.

“Many people have bad connotations about Greek (life), but our organizations truly do believe in graduating our members because that’s what we’re here for,” said Bryan Tamayo, LPHC president and civil engineering senior. “To us, (skin color) is not important at all.”

The LPHC is an organization of fraternities and sororities who are passionate about the Latino culture, and the LPHC is a place where students can find their place on campus, Tamayo said.

“UT is a really big campus. It’s kind of hard sometimes making friends,” Tamayo said. “Most of these (LPHC) organizations do believe that this is a bond for life.”

The LPHC also prioritizes making sure students have a strong support system, said Carla Rangel, a member of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Incorporated.

“We’re here … to really support a platform for other Latino students to come and see that they have a home within UT,” said Rangel, a bilingual education junior.

Rangel said she sees the LPHC as a way to bring together Latino students at a large campus that does not have as many students with Latino backgrounds.

“It really provides a sense of comfort,” Rangel said. “At least, I know that is what it did for me.”

Psychology junior Ana Duran said she was seeking a community at UT after transferring into the University this fall.

“I really want to get involved,” Duran said. “I’m a transfer student, so it’s my first year here, and I really don’t know anyone yet. I feel like I’m away from my family, and I just want to have someone.”

Duran said she is excited to have sorority sisters that she can share her personal and academic experiences with and to have people that will push her to do better.

The Greek organizations of the LPHC are looking for new members that are passionate about making a change, Tamayo said.

“People that are Greek in this council can truly say it’s one of the best things they’ve ever done,” Tomayo said.