Herman addresses student vote on A&M game

2017-09-04_Texas_v_Mayland_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Texas head coach Tom Herman met with the media on Tuesday as the Longhorns prepare to open Big 12 play on the road against Iowa State on Thursday night. Here are three notes from Tuesday’s media availability.

Herman addresses student vote on Texas A&M rivalry revival

On Tuesday morning, Texas student body president Alejandrina Guzman and vice president Micky Wolf sent out an email to students advocating a vote on reinstating the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry football game.

“For generations, UT students enjoyed the Texas v. Texas A&M Rivalry game before it was stopped in 2011,” the email said. “Now, you have an opportunity to help bring it back. You elected us as Student Body President and Vice President to reinstate this game on our nonconference schedule. We have had conversations with University leadership throughout the summer, and now it is your chance to have your voice heard and help bring back this UT tradition!”

The vote takes place online at utexasvote.org on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The email also included a link to a survey, which will be used as “data for President Fenves, Athletic Director Perrin, and other key decision makers,” according to the email.

On Tuesday night, Herman was asked about the significance of the student vote taking place.

“Any time the student body rallies around a cause, I think the powers that be listen,” Herman said. “Now, the powers that be are in that position because they have to make decisions.”

As for whether the Longhorns will ever revive the Lone Star Showdown with the Aggies on the gridiron, Herman believes that day is coming, but not anytime soon.

“Do I think it’ll ever happen? Yeah, I do,” Herman said. “When? I don’t know. That’s one of the most historic rivalries in college football history. I do think it will happen, but I don’t have any details. That’s well outside of my scope of influence.”

Still no moral victories from USC loss

Herman made it clear following Texas’ 27-24 double overtime loss to then-No. 4 USC on Sept. 16 that the Longhorns weren’t going to take away any moral victories. And just for good measure, Herman pushed that message again on Tuesday — only this time with a little extra flare.

“I can’t tell you how many times I heard the word ‘congratulations,’” Herman said. “And it made my skin crawl. Congratulations for what? For showing up and playing hard?”

Update on quarterback situation

Herman didn’t give anything away about the state of the Longhorns’ quarterback situation on Tuesday. Herman said that sophomore quarterback Shane Buechele has looked “good … other than it taking him a little bit longer to warm up,” in practice.

Buechele missed the last two games due to a bruised throwing shoulder suffered in the season opener against Maryland. Freshman quarterback Sam Ehlinger has stepped in for Buechele, completing 53.7 percent of his passes for 520 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions.

But who starts on Thursday night in Ames, Iowa, won’t be revealed yet.

“We have (made a decision),” Herman said. “I’m not gonna tell Iowa State or Matt Campbell who’s gonna play.”