Longhorns struggle at ITA All-American Championships

WTennis_105_2017-04_23_Texas_vs_Kansas_State_Tennis_Ann
Ann Morris

The Longhorns participated in their second fall tournament of the season this past weekend in Southern California at the ITA All-American Championships, one of the biggest tournaments in collegiate tennis.

After a strong showing at the Debbie South Fall Classic at Furman University, which left the Longhorns with two singles titles, Texas looked to build off the momentum in Southern California.

Junior Katie Poluta and freshman Marta Perez-Mur, who won her first singles draw last weekend in her collegiate debut, played Saturday in the pre-qualifying singles draw.

Poluta started off strong in the round of 64, defeating Janina Braun of Mississippi State swifty in a 6-1, 6-3 match. However, she was later defeated in the round of 32.

Perez-Mur was eliminated early in the championships as well, losing in the round of 64 and also in the consolation round of 32.

On Tuesday, sophomore Petra Granic dropped a close match to North Carolina’s Makenna Jones. Granic’s loss marked the second time she fell to Jones this season. Jones beat Granic in a three-set match last month at Furman. Assistant coach Taylor Fogleman discussed the difficulty of Granic’s defeat earlier in the week, but he remains optimistic about the rest of the season.

“This was an incredibly tough match today for Petra,” Fogleman said on Tuesday. “Unfortunately, she sustained a small injury after gaining a lead at the start of the third set. But she fought like a champion all the way to the bitter end and almost turned the match in her favor. We could not be prouder of her effort, and we know her best tennis is ahead.”

The Longhorns won’t have to wait long for their next set of matches, as a United States Tennis Association singles event begins on Wednesday in South Carolina. Texas will send sophomore twin sisters Anna and Bianca Turati, as well as freshman Bojana Markovic. All three will compete in the main draw.