Catch these five local bands at ACL

As the 16th-annual Austin City Limits music festival commences, Austinites and festival goers head towards two weekends full of excitement, food and, of course, Austin’s own local artists. Despite the numerous mainstream headliners, music lovers can still catch these local stars who will give you the chance to see why Austin calls itself the Live Music Capital of the World.

Here are just five of the local Austin artists The Daily Texan recommends catching at ACL.

•  
  • The Bishops
  • Friday, Oct. 13
  • 12:30 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
  • Tito’s Handmade Vodka Stage

If you’ve you ever wanted to create music with your own siblings, this sibling trio’s sick and smooth hip-hop/R&B will have you dreaming. Consisting of vocalist Cara Bishop, rapper Luv Bishop and producer Troy Bishop, the siblings are true jacks-of-all-trades who continue to push musical boundaries. The trio brings a sense of chaos to Austin’s underground hip-hop scene through their unconventional beats and dope rhymes that will leave you with chills.

•  
  • The Band of Heathens
  • Friday, Oct. 13
  • 1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
  • Tito’s Handmade Vodka Stage

For music that’ll make you raise your arms in the air like you just don’t care, check out this band’s blues vibes with a group of friends or even a significant other. Though the three bandmates — Colin Brooks, Ed Jurdi and Gordy Quist — were originally solo performers, they eventually combined their talents after frequently sharing the bill at Momo’s, an Austin club. One of Austin’s great treasures, the band’s combination of folk tunes and lyrics give you a taste of pure happiness that will make yo u want to grab a partner to dance a few steps.

Paul Cauthen

• Saturday, Oct. 14
  • 12:15 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Tito’s Handmade Vodka Stage
  •  
  • Paul Cauthen finds the sweet spot where country music meets gospel. A blend of vulnerability and brash confidence takes part in what makes Cauthen’s music. Because of his acoustic guitar, Cauthen’s music has an amusing and calming sense of rhythm to it that will get you swaying back and forth.

The Black Angels

• Saturday, Oct. 14
  • 5:00 p.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Barton Springs Stage

With their cool, deep and dark image, The Black Angels are best known for their sultry rock sound that brings out some dark and twisty emotions. Although The Black Angels have explored many different genres of music over the past 10 years, the Austin musicians return to the stage this weekend to perform their psychedelic rock tunes. Be sure to listen to this band’s set, because once you start jamming out to them, you won’t want to stop.

Spoon

• Saturday, Oct. 14
  • 7:00 p.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Miller Lite Stage

One of the quintessential indie and experimental rock bands to ever come out of the Austin music scene, Spoon delivers beats that make music enthusiasts want to go crowd surfing. After the band’s initial struggle to reach commercial success, they reached a breakthrough with their fourth album, Kill the Moonlight. Now they’ve found their way back to their roots to showcase their latest release, Hot Thoughts. Known for their warm pop-rock songs like “The Underdog” and “Got Nuffin,” Spoon leaves you wanting more of their weird and enchanting music. Do not miss this beloved band on Saturday night if you want to sing your heart out to their hit songs.