Women’s golf takes top two spots at Betsy Rawls Invitational

2016-10-18_Womens_Golf_Juan
Juan Figueroa

In a landslide, Longhorns won the Betsy Rawls Invitational on Tuesday at the UT Golf Club. Led by senior Sophia Schubert, who won the individual portion of the tournament, Texas claimed victory by 15 strokes over second-place Furman.

“We’ve got a good team,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “It’s always nice playing on your home golf course. There’s a little built-in advantage there.”

The battle for first place was fought between Schubert and fellow Longhorn, sophomore Emilee Hoffman. Although Hoffman maintained a four-shot lead through the first nine holes of the final round, Schubert came into form and fired off a 3-under 33 on the back nine to win by four strokes. 

“I think this is the best (win),” Schubert said. “To win here at home is just incredible. To be able to share this with my friends and my family and all of our fans has been great.”

Hoffman did not play the way she wanted to on Tuesday and capped off her final round with a double bogey on the tough, par-4 18th hole. She did play well enough in the other two rounds to finish second, however, continuing her solid performance so far this season.

Eight Longhorns participated this week, with three competing individually. The team racked up four top-20 finishes, including freshman Kaitlyn Papp, who finished in a tie for No. 16 at 5-over-par; sophomore Greta Voelker at No. 18 with 6-over-par; and freshman Agathe Laisne tying No. 28 place at 8-over-par in her second collegiate start.

The Longhorns have now won the Betsy Rawls Invitational eight times. This was their first win at the tournament since 2011. Murphy is excited for the Longhorns to continue their strong play, but hopes the team makes improvements as they progress through the rest of their fall campaign.

“We have the makings of a special group,” Murphy said. “It’s nice to get this win, but right now, the coach in me is thinking about how we need to improve in a few areas. It was nice at the top with Sophia and Emilee, but there’s more to come from our next three players.”

Texas will have a long break before teeing it up again on Nov. 3. The Longhorns will be competing in the Battle at the Beach near Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.