Big 12 Notebook: Oklahoma wins stunner, Baylor earns first win

Texas traveled to Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth on Saturday in hopes of earning its second-straight conference win. No. 8 TCU proved to be a tough matchup for the Longhorns, though, as the Horned Frogs defeated Texas 24-7. The rest of the Big 12 was also in action with four other conference games on Saturday. Here’s how they shaped up:

Texas Tech unable to snap losing streak
Texas Tech has been on quite a skid since it began conference play. While the Red Raiders were undefeated in non-conference play, they have only produced one win against a Big 12 opponent thus far in the season. Texas Tech looked to get back on track over the weekend as Kansas State traveled to Lubbock, but the Wildcats stunned the Red Raiders behind backup QB Skylar Thompson’s game-winning touchdown in overtime.

Texas Tech came out slow against the Wildcats, but the Red Raiders showed their usual brand of high flying, up-tempo offense behind QB Nic Shimonek’s 405 passing yards by the end of the first quarter. However, Kansas State showed their own version of a prolific offense, keeping up with the Red Raiders the entire way. The game would ultimately enter overtime after a late Kansas State two-point conversion. In overtime, Thompson sealed the Wildcats win, throwing an eight-yard touchdown. With the 42-35 defeat, Texas Tech now sits on a four-game losing streak.

Oklahoma wins stunner in Bedlam rivalry
All eyes were on Saturday’s game in Stillwater, Oklahoma, as two of the top Big 12 contenders went head-to-head in one of the biggest rivalries the conference has to offer. This year’s Bedlam matchup would prove to be one of the most memorable, setting offense records while racking up 114 total points and more than 1,400 yards.

Coming into the matchup, both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, each led by Heisman candidates at the QB position, held one loss. The game would prove to be an epic back-and-forth with baffling offense stat lines in the passing and running games. Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph each threw for five touchdowns, but in the end it would be Mayfield remaining at the top of the Heisman campaign. The senior ended his day with 598 yards passing on top of the five scores. After the 62-52 shootout victory, the Sooners now sit at No. 5 in the AP Poll.

Baylor earns first win
The Bears have seen their fair share of disappointment in 2017, starting the year with eight-consecutive losses to kick off head coach Matt Rhule’s tenure. Baylor has been able to keep a few of its conference games surprisingly close, but the team has never been able to hold on to a lead till the end.

That changed Sunday, as Baylor overwhelmed Big 12 bottom-feeder Kansas in a 38-9 victory. Baylor QB Charlie Brewer led the scoring barrage against the Jayhawks, throwing for 315 yards and three touchdowns. Bears wide receiver Denzel Mims would also show out in the victory, with 122 yards on just five receptions. While the win does not help the Bear’s conference championship hopes very much, it does provide a good boost of confidence to Rhule and the rest of his first-year coaching staff.