UT Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter suspended

2014-03-20_SAE_Pledge_Policy_Sarah
Sarah Montgomery

The UT chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been suspended as a result of health and safety concerns, SAE National officials said in a press release late Sunday night.

“Sigma Alpha Epsilon has zero tolerance for any actions or behaviors that are not consistent with our mission and our creed,” the press release said. “We are committed to the safety and well-being of our members and others with whom they interact.”

SAE Nationals received a tip to their anonymous hazing hotline, and after investigating found the UT chapter was not complying with multiple health and safety policies, according to the release. SAE notified University officials of their decision to suspend the chapter. The Office of the Dean of Students was not immediately available for comment.

The chapter, which was founded in 1882, is suspended until current membership has graduated or for a period not shorter than four years.

“Although we regret the closure of any chapter, there are situations in which it becomes necessary and warranted,” the press release said. “Our leadership remains optimistic that we can re-establish Texas Rho in the near future with members who exemplify our beliefs and who serve as leaders and role models on campus and in the greater Austin community.”

On Friday, Brandon Weghorst, chief communications officer for SAE, said the chapter was under a cease-and-desist order, but did not have a timeline for the pending investigation at that point.

Weghorst did not immediately respond to requests for comment after the chapter was suspended.