Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in Hyde Park area

2017-05-05_Dark_Tower_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Austin Police Department is searching for a man suspected of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman around the Hyde Park area Wednesday night.

“(The victim) is doing as well as she could be and is actively helping us in this investigation,” APD Asst. Chief Joseph Chacon said. “She obviously, like us, wants justice.”

According to the victim’s report, around 8 p.m. she was hit from behind and knocked unconscious after leaving her friend’s apartment near the 900 block of Duncan Lane. When she regained consciousness, she was inside an unknown person’s apartment where she was sexually assaulted, APD said. APD cannot confirm at this time whether or not the victim is a UT student.

“(When she woke up) she was once again, violently struck and lost consciousness again,” Chacon said. “When she woke up a second time, she found that she was basically dumped on the side of the road.”

Chacon said the victim was dropped off a block from where she was originally kidnapped. The victim told police she could only describe the suspect as a Hispanic male and did not get a good look at him.

“I wish we could put out more information on the suspect at this time, but it is still really early,” Chacon said. “We are doing everything we can to find him.”

Chacon said the sex crime unit is actively investigating this crime. He said even though the case is in the very early stages of investigation, the department is trying to remind people in the area to be alert and should call APD with any information they know about the case.

“This is very concerning to us because we don’t have that many stranger assaults occur,” Chacon said. “When we have this, we don’t want this to continue.”