Find your voice at the Texan this spring

annette+meyer
Annette Meyer

While we at the Texan are still hoping a wintry intervention will extend our class hiatus, a new semester does bring one bright spot — the chance to join The Daily Texan.

When it comes to serving UT and the surrounding community, the Texan has been the authoritative voice since 1900. But it would be impossible to carry out our mission if it weren’t for the help of students of all backgrounds, beliefs, majors and years. So no matter what your connection to our campus, there is a home for you here in our basement.

Over its 117-year history, The Daily Texan has worked with thousands of students to literally write history. Our pages have uncovered faculty misconduct, spurred divestment from oil lands and pushed for integration. Our alumni go on to write books, work at national news organizations and win Pulitzers. We count Lady Bird Johnson, Sen. Judith Zaffirini and Walter Cronkite among our bylines, and hold more national, regional and state awards than any other college newspaper.

How, you might ask, will you fit into this legacy?

There is a department or position at the Texan to suit nearly any interest or skill set, whether in print or in one of our multimedia departments. If SXSW or basketball playoffs are basically a national holiday, our Life&Arts or Sports departments are the place to celebrate. Science&Tech follows groundbreaking research from UT and beyond. If you want to be the first to know all things UT and Austin — or discover that information yourself — come talk to our News department.

If you have thoughts to share about any of the above, make sure to submit an application to work with us in the Opinion department.

Maybe you are more interested in the visual packaging of our stories. Our photo, video and comics departments elevate words to a true, engaging story. Our web department creates interactive graphics, special projects and sets the groundwork for our online coverage. At the end of the day, our copy and design departments pull all of our coverage together to make a finished product.

Now for the most important takeaway from this letter: No experience is required to join the Texan — and we aren’t made up of only journalism or English students. Our staff represents campus from the College of Natural Sciences to the College of Liberal Arts to Moody. We have diverse experiences, backgrounds and plans for the future. Enthusiasm, an ability to make deadlines and willingness to learn are the only prerequisites to seeing your name in print.

You will get your first taste of working at the Texan during our tryout process, which spans the first three weeks of each semester. Until Jan. 30, the departments listed above, plus more found on our website, will hold tryouts where you will learn about each department with the mentorship of our staff. Drop by our office during one of our two open houses, which will be held in our office — the basement of the HSM building ­­— at 5 p.m. on Thursday of this week and Monday of next week. In the meantime, fill out our general interest form, follow us on social media and drop by to ask us any and all questions you might have.

As you consider how to spend your time here at the University this spring, we hope the Texan makes the list. You might just find your passion.

Hallas is a Plan II, economics and health and society junior from Allen.