The Daily Texan’s most anticipated movies of 2018

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Twenty-seventeen had some heavy hitters at the box office, but 2018 promises to be even more jam-packed with superheroes and sequels — for better or for worse. To help you navigate the busy film roster of 2018, The Daily Texan has compiled a list of this year’s most anticipated movies.

‘Black Panther’ — Feb. 16

The revolution will be live when Marvel’s Black Panther finally takes the reins of his own movie. Starring Chadwick Boseman as the honorable but formidable superhero king, “Black Panther” will be a unique, socially aware addition to its genre thanks to its depiction of a highly advanced African nation and its apparent rejection of imperialism. Its director, Ryan Coogler, will be the first African-American filmmaker to helm a Marvel project.

‘A Wrinkle in Time’ — March 9

Madeleine L’Engle’s classic science fantasy novel gets a modern update this March. “A Wrinkle in Time” is a blockbuster powered by women: Ava DuVernay (“Selma”) directs a screenplay by Jennifer Lee (“Frozen”), while Oprah Winfrey leads the cast as the supernatural Mrs. Which. The film’s heroes — a trio of precocious kids — may end up being the picture’s shining elements with talented youngsters Storm Reid, Levi Miller and Deric McCabe at the helm.

'Isle of Dogs' — March 23

UT alumnus Wes Anderson’s quirky imagination takes us to an island where dogs stricken by the “canine flu” have been abandoned. When a Japanese boy, Atari (Koyu Rankin), arrives on the Isle of Dogs to search for his beloved dog, Spots, a group of heroic canines led by Chief (Bryan Cranston) vows to help him. Anderson’s cinematic sensibilities once again find their home in the stop-motion format, and his ensemble cast, rounded out by Edward Norton and Bill Murray, will be a force to be reckoned with.

'Avengers: Infinity War' — May 4

The end of Marvel as we know it begins here. As Thanos (Josh Brolin) mounts a campaign to gather the Infinity Stones and wipe out the superheroes who stand in his way, the fractured Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy must overcome their doubts, shortcomings and bad blood to save the universe from annihilation. “Avengers: Infinity War” features the largest cast of any Marvel movie yet, with Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman and Benedict Cumberbatch among many, many others.

'Deadpool 2' — May 18

The Merc with a Mouth gets his second go-around in “Deadpool 2.” Little is known about the movie, thanks to its irreverently uninformative trailers and plot synopsis, but Ryan Reynolds will certainly deliver once again with a lovable, fourth wall-breaking performance. Expect some extra action spice from David Leitch, who co-directed “John Wick” and directed “Atomic Blonde,” and prepare yourself for newcomer Cable (Josh Brolin), a time-traveling mutant who is in many ways the opposite of Deadpool himself.

'Solo: A Star Wars Story' — May 25

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” tells the tale of how everybody’s favorite galactic smuggler met a walking carpet. Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover may live up to their iconic predecessors in their respective portrayals of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, and they’re supported by a well-rounded ensemble cast that includes Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton. However, “Solo” has been plagued by behind-the-scenes issues, such as a controversial switch-up of directors when the team of Phil Lord and Chris Miller was replaced by Ron Howard. Time will tell whether the Force is with this one.

'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' — June 22

When will people stop getting in deep trouble with dinosaurs? The “Jurassic Park” franchise resurrects the eco-friendly message of “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” as Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) and Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas Howard) return to Isla Nublar to save the dinosaurs from an impending volcanic eruption. It will be intriguing to see how director J.A. Bayona (“The Orphanage,” “A Monster Calls”) shapes the future of the “Jurassic” universe with his horror sensibilities.

'Aquaman' — Dec. 21

Feel the power of the sea in Aquaman’s (Jason Momoa) first solo outing on the big screen. After becoming a hero in “Justice League,” he now takes on the role of Atlantis’ super-powered protector. Along the way, he must battle the Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and the Ocean Master (Patrick Wilson). Director James Wan, who has shown his action chops with “Furious 7,” will bring a creative eye to DC’s continued comeback.