Texas set to honor seniors during Friday meet versus TCU

2018_02_02_WomensSwimming_Angela
Angela Wang

All-Americans. National champions. Olympic medalists. Their list of accomplishments goes on and on.

But soon, nine Texas athletes will have another title to add to their resumes: UT graduates.

On Friday, the Longhorn men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will compete against TCU in their last regular season dual-meet of the year.

Before the competition begins at 2 p.m., Texas will officially honor seniors Jared Butler, Tom Colket, Sammie Hashbarger, Rebecca Millard, Brett Ringgold, Jonathan Roberts, Joseph Schooling, Sam Sutton and Austin Temple as they suit up for one of their last meets as Longhorns.

This past Saturday was the last time the Longhorn teams squared off against opponents in dual-meet action, with the men’s team narrowly defeating Arizona, 155-143, and the women’s team toppling the Wildcats, 177-122. With both teams holding themselves to a high standard of success, expect the Longhorns to try to finish out the regular season with another sweep against the Horned Frogs.

For the highly-ranked men’s team, Schooling could once again prove to be a nightmare for opponents as he captured first place in the 200 butterfly during last week’s meet. Ringgold will be another athlete of many to watch, as he was able to sweep the sprint freestyle events with a set of strong performances the last time out.

The Longhorn men (3–5), coached by Eddie Reese, have faced unusual difficulties in dual-meets this season, dropping each of their first four meets and five total. The team accumulated a 24–4 record in dual-meets over the last three seasons, each of which Texas went on to win an NCAA championship.

The women enter Friday’s meet undefeated due in part to key contributors — sophomore Kennedy Lohman, who swept both backstroke events last weekend, and divers sophomore Alison Gibson and junior Meghan O’Brien, who reigned supreme on the springboard events.

The women (8–0), led by head coach Carol Capitani, have excelled throughout the season by steamrolling over many of their opponents and capturing an impressive victory over then-ranked No. 5 Texas A&M back in November.

With the Big 12 Championships just over the horizon and the NCAA Championships taking place next month, the Longhorns will be looking to gain momentum on senior day before postseason action gets underway.