Swimming roundup: Longhorn women cap off undefeated regular season in win over TCU

roberts2018-01-08_Texas_v_Auburn_Angela
Angela Wang

Senior Day at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center brought smiles all around as No. 8 Texas earned a win against TCU in the team’s final dual meet of the regular season.

With a 162-105 victory, the women’s team was able to cap off its third undefeated season in program history and its first since 1988.
Senior Rebecca Millard credited head coach Carol Capitani’s leadership for the team’s historic season.

“There were some meets where we were in a lot of pain,” Millard said. “That is how Carol (Capitani) sets up our schedule. She makes it hard, because anything that is easy isn’t going to be worth it. Every year we have gotten stronger and stronger, and I think this 9–0 record really shows that.”

Millard said the fun, celebratory atmosphere during Friday’s meet gave Texas a much-needed boost.

“It unites the team in reminding us how the sport is fun, why we chose to do this sport and it brings us all together,” Millard said. “It was a low-stress environment, centered around having fun…being together and being one team.”

An equally-strong showing from the men’s side resulted in a 159-108 win in which the team won all 15 events throughout the day.

“Today was amazing to be able to go out with a win on senior night,” senior Jonathan Roberts said. “It was a very good time and I will definitely miss this place.”

The Longhorns now have just over two weeks to prepare for the Big 12 Championships before they begin on Feb. 21 in Austin. The men’s team will enter the event having won 38 consecutive conference titles under renowned head coach Eddie Reese.

“Looking forward, Big 12s are going to be really fun,” Roberts said. “I think there is going to be a lot of big swims dropping all over the place at the Big 12 Championships. Just use that energy, take it into NCAAs and we are all looking forward to that. It is going to be a good time.”