Coach preps students for Longhorn Run

LonghornRun2018-02-06_Longhorn_Run_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Professional running coach Anthony Ferraro has a message for students hoping to participate in the upcoming Longhorn Run: Start training now.

“The first piece of advice is to start training early,” Ferraro said at a discussion in Gregory Gymnasium on Monday. “Don’t wait until two weeks before the race, or you won’t get the results you want.”

The Longhorn Run will take place on April 14 and feature a 5K and a 10K race through the UT campus and surrounding areas. Ferraro is a personal trainer for UT RecSports and has been the head coach for the Longhorn Run for eight years.

Each year, Ferraro develops specialized training programs for students looking to improve their performance before the race. He designs separate regiments for athletes training for the 5K and 10K distances, as well as for runners with varying degrees of experience.

In addition to publishing workout plans on the Longhorn Run website, Ferraro will also lead three training events in February and March for students who prefer to exercise in a group.

Ferraro emphasized the importance of completing both speed and endurance training.

“When you start running, go slow,” Ferraro said. “A lot of people will tell me that they hate running, but that’s because they go all out, all at once.”

Cecilia Cardenas, assistant director of RecSports and the advisor to the Longhorn Run Committee, said the training regimen is designed to fit into the hectic schedule of college life.

“He really takes into account the life of a student,” Cardenas said.

The Longhorn Run began in 2010 as a Student Government initiative and has since grown into a large collaboration with RecSports. Registration, outreach and race day proceedings are organized by a committee of 15 students who apply for their positions the summer before each race.

Minh Do, advertising senior and director of the Longhorn Run Committee, said the committee works very hard to organize the event, which grows each year.

“Whenever you get people with the same mindset, it’s incredible to see how things come together,” Do said.

Do said more than 5,000 runners participated last year.

“It’s evolved, it’s grown and it’s really become a part of the UT community and for people all around Austin,” Cardenas said.

Students, as well as runners in the greater Austin community, have until April 13 to register.