Men’s tennis: Rare doubles loss doesn’t slow down Longhorns

Despite a poor start and some illnesses, Texas pulled through to defeat Georgia Tech on Sunday.

“We had some guys that were a little sick this week,” Texas head coach Michael Center said. “We looked a little sluggish and got behind … but really proud of the way we turned it around and won five matches in straight sets to put the match away.”

The match, which was scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. at the new Texas Tennis Center, was delayed due to rain and ultimately moved indoors to the Weller Tennis Center for a 1:05 p.m. start. The delayed start time may have contributed to the lethargic opening for the Longhorns, as they shockingly dropped the doubles point for just the second time all season.

Juniors Rodrigo Banzer and Leonardo Telles, who recently moved up to third in the ITA National Doubles Rankings, lost a gut-wrenching tiebreaker 7-5 after the set went to 6-all.

But the Longhorns would not be denied in singles on Sunday, winning five of the six matches.

Sophomore Yuya Ito, who re-entered the ITA National Singles Rankings last week, continued to impress. With a No. 118 ranking, Ito dominated Georgia Tech’s No. 41-ranked Carlos Divar with a 6-1, 6-2 victory.

The Longhorns clinched victory when junior Colin Markes secured a 6-4, 6-2 win at sixth singles. After a nice win, Center is already thinking ahead to next weekend.

“Now we go on the road,” Center said. “We got North Carolina State and North Carolina next weekend, so we’ll just go back to work and get ready to go.”