Ways to get festive on International Women’s Day

womens_0307_RachelEfruss_womensday
Rachel Efruss

March 8 — International Women’s Day — commemorates the achievements, aspirations, progress and parity of women around the world. Show your support for women by getting involved in a number of local activist happenings, or take it as an opportunity to celebrate with your best girlfriends. The Daily Texan has compiled a list of fun events to help you raise a glass to all of the amazing ladies in your life.

International Women’s Day Yellow Hour

Where: Space 24 Twenty, 2420 Guadalupe Street

Time: March 8th, 7–9 p.m.

Admission: Free

Join San Antonio-based artist Kwanzaa Edwards in painting a community mural that will be presented at the spring 2018 CraftHER Market. While you’re jamming to DJ Mahealani and eating at Frank’s food truck, participate in an art installation that will show women in the style of the artist: bold, unapologetic and in touch with the universe. If you’re feeling prophetic, get your tarot cards read by Solaris Reads Tarots. Wear yellow and grab your girl gang for some creative collaboration. 

ATX Celebrates International Women’s Day 2018

Where: Rattletree School of Marimba, 2401 Thornton Rd. Unit 3 

Time: March 8, 6–11:45 p.m.

Admission: $10, $15 at the door

Groove to women’s equality with live performances by several women’s bands from Brazil, Africa, France, Middle East, Latin America and other places from around the world. At the event, you’ll be acquainted with a diverse range of musicians that includes names such as Paula Maya, Mafaro Marimba, Leti Garza and Julie Slim & Rendezvous. They will also be holding an African dance workshop and a grounding exercise, accompanied by speakers Olga Campos and Cristina Tzinzún. 

Women-owned local eats

If your girl gang would rather celebrate International Women’s Day with frosty margs, queso and tacos, head to the women-owned and operated Mexican restaurant Fresa’s. Afterward, check out Spun Ice Cream, which is also owned and operated by two sisters, to enjoy some gourmet ice cream. If you’re not feeling Mexican food or ice cream, check out Taste of Ethiopia, Épicerie, Thai Fresh or Sugar Mama’s Bake Shop, which are also all women-owned noms.

“She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry” Screening

Where: Alamo Drafthouse, 1120 South Lamar Blvd. 

Time: March 8, 7 p.m.

Admission: Pending  

Grab some popcorn and wings with your ladies at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar and support women’s reproductive equality by watching a screening of the feminist history documentary “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry.” All proceeds from the screening will be donated to the Lilith Fund, which provides women with funds for reproductive issues in addition to educating the community about reproductive health.