Longhorns lose nail-biter to No. 18 South Carolina in extra innings

softball_2018-02-23_Texas_Doubleheader_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Extra innings take a lot out of players. More running, more effort, more exhaustion. In Texas’ nail-biter against No. 18 South Carolina on Tuesday night, that extra-inning effort was on display.

The Longhorns lost another ranked matchup — their seventh of the season. While the score was close at 1-0, the Texas offense left eight runners stranded on base in the tough loss. The game began the team’s South Carolina swing.

The Longhorns (9–11) continue to struggle against ranked teams, which will affect the team at the end of the season when the NCAA Softball Tournament selection process begins. Texas currently has the worst record in the Big 12, and with conference play nearing, the Longhorns are desperate for something positive.

The loss continued the Longhorns’ struggle on offense this season, as the team failed to score more than three runs in a fifth consecutive game.

But while the offense has struggled, the pitching staff has continued to impress, as senior ace Paige von Sprecken threw a very solid outing on Tuesday night.

Despite being the losing pitcher, von Sprecken spread four hits over seven innings and only allowed the one run in the bottom of the eighth. She also recorded four strikeouts.

The season continues in South Carolina with a matchup against Coastal Carolina at 5 p.m. Thursday.