Legendary Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido dead at 79

2014-03-25_Texas_State_vs_Texas_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

Legendary Texas head baseball coach Augie Garrido passed away, Texas Athletics announced late Thursday morning. He was 79.

Garrido had been recently hospitalized for what was described as a “very serious medical condition.”

“This is a very, very sad day,” UT athletic director Chris Del Conte said. “We lost one of the greatest coaches of all time, a truly special Longhorn legend and college athletics icon. There will never be another Augie Garrido. He was a once-in-a-lifetime personality whose impact on Texas Athletics, collegiate baseball and the student-athletes he coached extended far beyond the playing field. If you were fortunate enough to have spent time with Augie, or if you followed him in any way, he had a great effect on you with his brilliant combination of wisdom, wit and charm.

“He was just an incredible coach, molder of men and a great person. He will be missed, but the memories of him and his awesome accomplishments will carry on forever. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Jeannie, and his family.”

Garrido, the winningest coach in college baseball history, was a beloved figure at Texas, where he coached from 1997-2016 until current Texas head coach David Pierce took over last season.

“Augie was a giant in our game,” Pierce said in a statement. “His impact on baseball, on the Forty Acres, and on me and so many others will live on forever. My thoughts are with (his wife) Jeannie, his friends, his family, and all those who were lucky enough to have met him, played for him, or learned from him. His presence will be sorely missed but his legacy will never be forgotten.”

Garrido compiled a career record 1975–919–9 over 48 years and is regarded as one of the best college baseball coaches in history. He was inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2016.

Garrido will be remembered not only for his on-field success but also his tough demeanor and strong will to win. He will undoubtedly be missed by many.