Andrew Jones appears on 40 Acres for first time since cancer diagnosis

Carlos Garcia

Andrew’s back, tell a friend. Sophomore guard Andrew Jones, who has been battling leukemia since January, had a good time at the Texas women’s NCAA Tournament game. Fans got a glimpse of him on Saturday sitting on the sideline with Chris Plonsky, Texas’ women’s athletic director, as the 2nd-seeded Longhorns took on 15th-seeded Maine at home.

It was Jones’ first time back in Austin since his diagnosis. After his visit, sophomore guard/forward Joyner Holmes tweeted out some supportive words, showing the large size of the Longhorn family.

On Sunday, Jones tweeted a video of himself sinking hoops at the gym in Dallas with Tim Martin, a basketball player development coach. The video has caught the attention of many and has around 113,000 views, 1,000 retweets and 4,000 likes. Many fans commented on the post sending Jones well-wishes, including Gerald Sledge, Central High School’s head boys basketball coach, who has been helping Jones “get back in (his) groove.”

It was tough not having Jones on the court after Texas basketball’s last-minute loss to Nevada this past week, but the Longhorns have their fingers crossed that the sophomore phenom will be back to lead them on the court next season. In the meantime, fans have been happy to see that Jones has kept his head up despite the difficult circumstances.