‘Tis the season for crawfish

0322_MelWestfall_crawfish
Mel Westfall

It’s officially spring, which in Austin is synonymous with crawfish season. Whether you’re going for the crawfish, other Cajun delicacies or the party, these crawfish joints are some of Austin’s favorites. Get ready for mudbugs by the pound — be prepared to wear an old T-shirt you’re not afraid to ruin, substitute plates for newspaper and get excited to get messy with the tastiest springtime ritual in Austin.

2nd Annual Crawfish Boil at The Rusty Mule
Where: The Rusty Mule, 9201 US-290
Time: March 24th, 12PM-8PM

Head to The Rusty Mule and enjoy their annual crawfish boil on the patio. The Mardi Gras-styled throwdown will have tons of crawdads, corn, potatoes, beer and more. The oak filled patio is perfect for big groups and is sure to blast festive music alongside the noises of cracking crawfish shells. BYOB … bring your own beads.

Shoal Creek Saloon
Where: 909 N Lamar Blvd
Time: Crawfish served 7 days a week while in season

Every spring, the Shoal Creek Saloon serves crawfish daily, and is typically accompanied by basketball games and po’boys. The saloon has been an Austin crawfish destination for years and is known for its relaxed creekfront locale. There is sometimes limited availability, so be sure to call ahead or check the Facebook page before you go to get your fix. Perk: Bring your dog with you to chow on the crawfish — they’re allowed on the back patio.

Rattle Inn Crawfish Boil
Where: 610 Nueces Street
When: April 14th, 1PM-6PM

Didn’t think it was possible to eat 10 pounds of food in one sitting? Think again! This $25 all you can eat crawfish boil is guaranteed to leave you feeling stuffed. Don’t hesitate to bring the whole gang and gorge while sipping on one of the many craft beers available. But if you’re not prepared to eat multiple pounds of mudbugs, you have the option to buy the crawfish by the pound for $8 per pound.

Baton Creole
Where: 1016 E. 6th Street

If you find that cracking crawfish isn’t your calling and would prefer an easier style of eating mudbugs, the Baton Creole food truck specializes in authentic “badass” Cajun. Owner and chef Lynzy Moran opened the food truck to accommodate the need for “damn good” Cajun food in Austin as well as to service those in need of post-6th Street sustenance. Whether it’s in étouffée or green bean casserole, Moran’s creative twists on classic Cajun cuisine will have patrons salivating at the sound of its dishes.