Longhorns Handle Tulsa, Prepare for Tulane on Thursday

tennis_2018-01-22_Texas_v
Anthony Mireles

The men’s tennis team handled Tulsa with little trouble on Friday with a 7-0 sweep to improve to 12–3 on the year.

After splitting the first two doubles matches, the duo of sophomore Christian Sigsgaard and junior Adrian Ortiz clinched the doubles point for the Longhorns with a 6-3 win at second doubles. The Longhorns then went on to win all six singles matches, refusing to surrender a single set.

The Longhorns won almost every match in convincing fashion except for the fifth singles matchup of Rodrigo Banzer versus Mitchell Pritchard of Tulsa. After a back-and-forth second set that saw Banzer concede two match points, the set was forced into a tiebreaker. Banzer managed to pull himself together to win the tiebreaker 7-5 and take the match in straight sets.

The Longhorns also got a solid contribution from sophomore Yuya Ito, who won at first singles by a score of 6-2, 6-2. The Longhorns have won eight of their last nine matches and Ito has risen to 60th in the nation in ITA’s singles rankings. Despite his high stature in the country, Ito gave praise to the well-roundedness of the Longhorns after the match on Sunday, explaining that their wins truly are team efforts.

“All of our players are very good,” Ito said. “We don’t really have one person that’s better than everyone else … It’s very competitive in practice. It’s good to have that because that can bring everyone up and make everyone better. Everyone is working hard to play their best each and every match.”

Texas’ next contest is sure to test the Longhorns — a home matchup with No. 32 Tulane. And head coach Michael Center is aware of the challenge the Green Wave will provide his team with.

“(We) got a really tough match on Thursday against Tulane,” Center said. “We played them last year and have a lot of respect for them.”

The Longhorns’ match with No. 32 Tulane is set for Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Texas Tennis Center.