Melissa McCarthy potentially to become a Longhorn for a night

life_0403_GeoCasillas_lifeofthepartycompetition
Geo Casillas

“Life of the Party,” starring Melissa McCarthy and directed by Ben Falcone premieres May 11, and UT might have a chance to host the premiere with a very special guest.

On lifeofthepartypremiere.com, colleges around the nation, including UT, are competing to have the film premiered at their school with Melissa McCarthy in attendance.

Kayla Najjar, radio-television-film junior and college ambassador for Warner Bros. at UT, said it took hard work to get UT on the ballot.

“I think UT is a great fit for the ‘Life of the Party’ premiere because of our school’s energy and our students’ liveliness,” Najjar said. “As an RTF student, I think it is especially exciting to have a chance to bring a live Hollywood premiere to our school.”

There are currently 25 schools in the running, including Ohio State University, University of Tennessee and Texas A&M University. UT is currently ranked 13.

McCarthy stars as Deanna Miles who decides to return to college with her daughter, played by Molly Gordon, after a nasty divorce.

Julio Macat, cinematographer for “Life of the Party” and other films such as “Home Alone” and “Pitch Perfect,” said the concept was something that McCarthy wanted to do for a while.

“Melissa and her husband Ben Falcone are like family, so when they pitched the idea, I was right on board,” Macat said. “She’s comedic genius and filming her is like capturing lightning in a bottle.”

Many students and Austin residents have already been supporting Austin to host the premiere by tweeting out the hashtag #LOTPAustin and voting on the website.

McCarthy is the only scheduled actress to attend the premiere. However, others who star in the film such as Gillian Jacobs, Maya Rudolph and Christina Aguilera could make surprise appearances.

Advertising freshman Nicole Jackson says she hopes UT gets a chance to host the premiere due to what UT provides as a school.

“Our school spirit is just a snippet of how engaged and excited we can be about something we are passionate about, and I feel UT would show that same energy if the movie premiere was held here,” Jackson said. “Also, I’ve never been to a movie premiere so I think it’d be a cool experience.”

Voting is open until 11:59 p.m. on April 5, and the winner will be announced April 6.

“Hopefully you guys come see what we created and you guys get first place,” Macat said.