Longhorns fall to TCU in opening of Big 12 Conference Play

Tennis_2018-02-12_UT_Mens_Tennis_vs_Utah_State_Katie
Katie Bauer

No. 10 TCU proved to be too much for No. 20 Texas on Saturday as the men’s tennis team fell to the Horned Frogs (4-2). TCU secured a lead and momentum from the start when they took two out of three doubles matches to take the doubles point.

The doubles pool has been a point of strength for the Longhorns all season, so it was to no surprise that failure to take that point made the rest of the match an uphill battle.

After the first two matches were split between the Longhorns and the Horned Frogs, the deciding match became the second doubles match between the TCU’s Alastair Gray and Trevor Johnson versus Adrian Ortiz and Christian Sigsgaard of the Longhorns.

Ortiz and Sigsgaard were able to survive a match point and force the match into a tiebreaker, but would go on to fall in the tiebreaker, 7-6 (3). In the singles pool, the Longhorns got wins from junior Leonardo Telles at fourth singles and redshirt junior Adrian Ortiz at sixth singles. 

However, TCU would ultimately clinch the match with No. 74 Guillermo Nuñez’s hard fought victory over No. 80 Harrison Scott. After each player took one of the first two sets, Scott had a 5-3 lead in the third set but couldn’t hang on as Nuñez would win in a tiebreaker, 7-4, to get the fourth point for the Horned Frogs. 

“This was a great college tennis match,” said Texas head coach Michael Center.  “I’m walking out of here feeling really proud of the guys and proud of their effort. If we can just keep building on what we did today, we’re going to be just fine.”

This match was the start of Big 12 conference play for the Longhorns. The men’s team has four more matches on the year which are all part of Big 12 conference play. Their next match is Friday at 4 p.m. against Oklahoma State.