Texas has ground to gain after day one

golf_2017-04-15_Texas_Shootout_Golf_Stephanie
Stephanie Martinez-Arndt

On Monday, Texas teed off at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in defense of its five consecutive Big 12 titles.

The teams played a total of 36 holes for the first day of the conference tournament.

During Monday’s first round, Texas came out red hot with star senior Doug Ghim leading the way. Texas shot a combined score of 289 as a team in the first round to take the lead.

Ghim and senior Scottie Scheffler were the stars for Texas in the first round, each shooting a 71 to earn a share of the congested lead. The Longhorns ended the first round feeling good atop the leaderboard, but round two was a quick reality check for the squad as Texas couldn’t maintain that initial momentum.

The Longhorns fired a 288 in the second round, which knocked them three spots off the lead into fourth place. The poor second round put Texas eight shots off the lead at 17-over par.

The lone bright spot for Texas in the second round was Ghim, who followed up his first round 71 with a solid second round score of 69 to put him at even par for the tournament. That put Ghim one shot behind the lead going into the third round and in a three-way tie for second place.

“Being at fourth place going into the last 36 holes, we are going to need a little bit of help from the leaders,” Texas head coach John Fields said. “But I think we just need to take care of business the next couple of days and give ourselves an opportunity on the last nine holes to have a chance to win.”

Texas will tee off in its third round on Tuesday at 8:22 a.m. with Oklahoma State.