Sports editor says thanks for memories

30_Trent_2018-05-02-Trent_30_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

When I first arrived at The Daily Texan in the fall of 2015, I never could’ve imagined a time when I’d have to write a 30 column. But there I was the other night lying in bed at 2 a.m. trying to figure out what in the world I was going to say as I watched old Tiger Woods highlights on YouTube, as I so often do.

I thought to myself, “How am I supposed to say goodbye to something I’m not ready to leave?”

In my three years at the Texan, there have been countless memories and friendships made. I truly owe so much to this place, and I’m thankful to have been a part of it. Of course, plenty of experiences will stick
with me.

Like chatting with Lance Armstrong in the 14th fairway at Austin Country Club while covering a PGA Tour event. 

Or sitting in the press box covering Texas-OU at the Cotton Bowl — one of my favorite stadiums in the country. Chills.

Or having Tom Herman come up and high-five me and other reporters after a practice for no particular reason, then face us and say “report like a champion today.” Still not sure what had gotten into Tom that day.

Or not leaving NRG Stadium at the Texas Bowl until 3:30 a.m. Fun night, but an exhausting one to say the least.

More than anything, the friends I’ve made here have made it all worth it, and I owe a lot to so many people.

To Jori, Jacob, Ezra and Shap, I learned so much under your leadership.

To Akshay, who pushed me to be better more than anyone else at the Texan. You were a tremendous leader here, and you’ve been an even greater friend. 

To Ellie, for hiring me as your sports editor and taking a chance on me. It has been an honor to work with you, and I hope I’ve made you proud.

To Peter, I’ll miss our epic ping pong matches. More importantly, I’ll miss your guidance and mentorship. Thank you for everything.

To Vanessa, Alex, Drew, Justin, Steve and the rest of my staff this semester, I can’t say enough how proud I am of y’all. Your hard work day in and day out made this engine go.

And to Ty, who is my best friend and someone I’ve made so many memories with in and out of the Texan. I’ve looked up to you since I got here, and I can’t express enough how much your friendship means to me.

I’ll close with a lyric from the late, great Tom Petty — one of my favorite artists of all time.

“It’s time to move on, it’s time to get going.”

Thank you for everything, DT.