Texas music Festivals to get you pumped for summer

Float_2017-07-22_Float_Fest_Emmanuel
Emmanuel Briseño

With finals knocking at the door, the sweet relief of summer is soon to follow. What better way to spend those study breaks than by planning your summer music festival itinerary? Here are a few festivals to put on your calendar so that you have something to look forward to during the final push to the finals finish line.

JMBLYA

Dallas: May 4, Austin: May 5, Houston: May 6

Making stops in Dallas, Houston and Austin, Texas’ biggest hip-hop festival JMBLYA brings together some of the genres biggest names in one place. This year’s festival will feature rap giants such as Migos, J. Cole and Young Thug. For those who are done with finals, or just don’t feel like studying this weekend, you can get general admission tickets on the JMBLYA site for the festival’s day in Austin over at The Circuit of the Americas.

Float Fest

San Marcos: July 21-22

If you are worried about the infamous Texas summer heat hindering your festival experience, Float Fest is your best bet to beat the dreaded heat. Float the San Marcos River by day, then get down to great musical performances by night. With arguably the best lineup in the festival’s history, this year’s fest hosts rap legends Snoop Dogg, Lil Wayne and Run the Jewels. Along with Tame Impala and Glass Animals, there is something for all types of music lovers. Weekend festival, tubing and camping tickets are still available on the Float Fest site.

Neon Desert

El Paso: May 26-27

For those who are down to travel to the tip of Texas, El Paso’s Neon Desert music festival is sure to be one of the hottest music festivals both literally and musically. Located in the heart of the sun city, festival goers can catch sure-to-be fire performances by Gucci Mane, Playboi Carti and Cuco. El Paso natives At The Drive-In will also make a reunion appearance, making this year’s festival one for the books. Starting at $120, two-day weekend tickets are still available.

Kerrville Folk Festival

Kerrville: May 24 – June 10

Folks with a hankering for more traditional Texas tunes can make their way to Kerrville for the annual Kerrville Folk Festival. Being the longest continuous festivals in North America, the eighteen-day folk fest features beer and wine seminars, musical performances and workshops for all ages. With performances from polka giants Brave Combo to Austin’s own up and coming blues duo The Person Brothers, Kerrville Folk Festival is a good place experience quality American songwriting. Tickets can be bought by the weekend, specific workshop or seminar, as well as for the whole eighteen days.

Finding Euphoria

Austin: May 11-13

Get your hula hoops, light gloves and sleeping bags ready, Austin’s own electronic camping music festival returns to Carson Creek Ranch later this month. Those who don’t have to wait until May 15 for their last final can catch performances from EDM giants such as Hippie Sabotage, Zander and Gramatik. The festival will feature a Friday kickoff party open only to those who purchase camping pass on top of a regular ticket. Unfortunately general camping tickets are sold out, but big ballers can still get one with a VIP package. General admission passes are still available online.