Find your voice, apply for The Daily Texan’s summer staff

0611_DianeSun_News
Diane Sun

The Daily Texan has played a key role at the University of Texas since 1900. In The Daily Texan’s 118-year history, it has won more national, regional, state and local awards than any other college newspaper in the country. More of our alumni have gone on to win Pulitzer Prizes than those of any other student newspaper, and our previous staff boxes have listed such names as Walter Cronkite, Robert Rodriguez and Lady Bird Johnson. More important than any of this, however, is that The Daily Texan is, and will always be, a student newspaper — run by students, for students. 

No matter your background, your interests or your experience, you can find a place at The Daily Texan. 

If you want to know how the news gets broken, apply for our news department. Apply for Life&Arts if your passions lie in museum exhibitions, movie reviews and telling stories about life on campus. If your Saturday afternoons are best spent watching a football game, check out our sports department. 

If you’re looking for an opportunity to hone your photography skills, consider applying for our photo department. Apply for the comics department if illustration and graphic design are your passion. If fonts and magazine spreads are right up your alley, come talk to our design department. Check out our video department if you want to find innovative ways to communicate the news. If talking about the news is more your speed, apply for our podcast department. 

If you’d rather edit the news than write it, apply for our copy department. If your Twitter skills are exceptional, come talk with our social media team. 

And finally, if you want to spend your time investigating and editorializing on UT policy, the campus community, local politics or anything else you might think of, apply for the opinion department.

No experience is required to apply for any department at the Texan. Most of our staff comes in without any journalism experience, and we represent an array of majors and backgrounds.

For the next week and a half, the Texan will be holding tryouts for all departments. In order to apply, simply fill out our issue staff interest form, indicate the departments you’re interested in applying for, and we will reach out to you. 

The Daily Texan is the student newspaper for the University of Texas, and we can only do our job when we’re an active part and a reflection of the UT community. So come apply for The Daily Texan. You won’t regret it.

Anderson is a Plan II and history junior from Houston. She is the editor-in-chief. Follow her on Twitter @texanopinion