Texas announces nonconference schedule featuring Purdue, VCU, others

Shaka_brief_2016-03-17_Mens_PRACTICE_NCAA_Tournament_Round1_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

The 2019 Texas men’s basketball nonconference schedule, featuring nine home games at the Frank Erwin Center, was released by the team in a press release.

Matchups against Purdue, Providence and Shaka Smart’s former team, VCU, are set to highlight Texas’ slate of nonconference games.

The Longhorns’ season begins on Nov. 6 at home against Eastern Illinois, leading up to the Armed Forces Classic on Nov. 9, where they will face Arkansas at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas.

In the regional round of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational, the Longhorns will square off against Louisiana-Monroe on Nov. 12 and The Citadel on Nov. 16 in Austin. These games will determine the matchups for the championship round in Las Vegas during the week of Thanksgiving.

Texas will then have six-straight matchups at home through December, beginning with a contest against Radford on Nov. 30 before games against VCU (Dec. 5), Purdue (Dec. 9), Grand Canyon (Dec. 15), Providence (Dec. 21) and UT-Arlington (Dec. 28).

While the dates and times for the Big 12 games have not been released, Texas is scheduled to have a break in conference play for a matchup in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge against Georgia on Jan. 26 in Athens.