UT student charged with sexual assault of another UT student

2017-05-05_Dark_Tower_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Sustainability studies sophomore Marcellus McKinley was arrested July 3 and charged with sexual assault, according to Travis County online case information and the Travis County criminal court docket. McKinley is accused of sexually assaulting another UT student at his off-campus residence in May, according to an arrest affidavit.

McKinley has an initial court date set for July 17, according to the Travis County criminal court docket.

The victim said she only knew McKinley as an acquaintance, as they both attend UT and have had classes together, according to the arrest affidavit.

On May 10, the victim and two of her friends went to a party at McKinley’s apartment, where his roommates were also present, according the arrest affidavit.

McKinley implied he wanted to have sex with her, and she told him she was not interested, according to the affidavit. The victim agreed to go to his room just to talk, but then he raped her, according to the arrest affidavit.

McKinley’s roommate later went into the room where the victim told the roommate that she had not wanted to have sex with McKinley, according to the arrest affidavit. McKinley then admitted to his roommate that the victim told him she did not want to have sex with him and he had put his hands around her neck, according to the arrest affidavit.

The victim’s friends took her from the apartment to Dell Seton, where she informed police about the assault on May 11, according to the arrest affidavit.