Beat the heat with four signature Austin swimming spots

swimming_2018-08_06_Azul_pool_Anthony
Anthony Mireles

Texas summers are known to be incredibly hot, so when it comes to summer fun, swimming is one of the best ways to stay cool. But with so many places to swim, picking a place may seem overwhelming, or maybe you just want to try someplace new. Here are a few different options to help you beat the heat this summer.

Deep Eddy Pool 

Hours: 8 a.m.–8 p.m. 

Price: varying between $1-$8

Now operated by the City of Austin, Deep Eddy Pool has been a prime swimming spot for locals for over 100 years. It is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is listed as a historic landmark by the Texas Historical Commission. The cool spring water pool accommodates for people of all ages; including lap lanes and a deep end for adults while also having a beach entry, a gradual shallow to deep end area, for kids. Prices for entry range from $1 to $8, and during the summer, Deep Eddy Pool also offers poolside movie events.

McKinney Falls State Park

Hours: 8 a.m.–10 p.m. 

Price: $6

While McKinney Falls is not a pool, the state park is along Onion Creek, which allows visitors to swim and hang out. With just a short drive away and a $6 entry fee, you are able to do a variety of activities such as swimming, hiking, biking and fishing, making McKinney Falls a more versatile place to spend a summer’s day. Named as one of Travel Channel’s top 10 wimming holes in 2016, the park offers two places to swim, Upper Falls and Lower Falls. The water varies from shallow to deep and is a good place to bring floaties and tubes. The beautiful scenery alone, makes this location one to visit.

Azul Rooftop Pool 

Hours: Varies, weekdays

Price: Free with the exception of Sundays.

Now, moving from sights of nature to a view of the Austin cityscape, the Azul Rooftop Pool is located at the heart of downtown at The Westin Austin Downtown Hotel. Open to the public during the weekdays, with limited hours, the rooftop pool and bar has been an Austin hotspot for the past few years. The pool is the highest rooftop pool in Austin and prides itself for being “sleek and chic.” Along with swimming, the Azul Rooftop Pool also has an impressive outdoor bar, as deemed by Eater, when they rated it as Austin’s #1 best outdoor bar.

Bartholomew Pool 

Hours: 11 a.m.–8 p.m. 

Price: varying from $1–$3

Located on the Eastside, Bartholomew Pool is the most kid-friendly swim spot on this list. After its renovations in 2014, Bartholomew Pool has become Austin’s own mini waterpark. Between its three pools, Bartholomew has water slides, a lily pad bridge, a diving board and a lap pool for kids of all ages to try.