Longhorns finish tough weekend in dramatic fashion

Soccer_102_soccer_10-02-17_UT_v_Texas_Tech_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

For the second time this week, a full 90-minute period wasn’t enough for the No. 21 Longhorns as they entered overtime with No. 23 Central Florida.

Two days after the Longhorns and No. 4 North Carolina ended in a 1-1 double overtime draw, Texas found a way to earn its first win against a ranked opponent.

The Longhorns drew first blood at the 22:43 mark against the Golden Knights after a beautiful cross from senior midfielder Katie Glenn set up junior forward Cyera Hintzen. After gaining possession, Hintzen broke down the goalie and placed the ball effortlessly into the bottom left corner of the net for her third goal on the season.

After a seemingly slow start to the game, the Longhorns felt their confidence rise as the match continued.

“We came out a little nervous, a little timid,” Hintzen, a second team All-American, said. “But once we got the ball moving, we were playing amazing.”

However, the goal only gave the Longhorns a short-term lead. The Golden Knights returned the favor in the 29th minute after a missed tackle and excellent passing opened up an opportunity for UCF, evening the match out at 1-1.

After halftime, the Longhorns returned to the field with the same energy that earned them their first goal. The Longhorns dominated on offense with eight second-half shots, including two close shots from Glenn and sophomore standout Haley Berg.

The Golden Knights tried to match Texas’ success, but they struggled offensively, only managing to get two shots off.

Despite the Longhorns’ eight second-half opportunities, they struggled to find their second goal of the night, forcing Texas into an overtime period for the second consecutive match.

“It was unfortunate that we had to go to overtime,” Hintzen said. “We just kept telling each other ‘we’re ready to go’ and ‘we’re connecting passes’ and that we just needed to put one away.”

The Longhorns didn’t have to wait long for that second goal. Just 2:38 into the overtime period, Hintzen, who was named to the preseason All-Big 12 team, found the back of the net for the second time in the match — and her fourth in three games. This time it was a golden goal, giving Texas the walk-off victory.

“I’m just really proud of the team to put the ball in the back of the net in overtime,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “Cyera Hintzen … what more can you say? That’s three big time goals this weekend and I’m really proud of her.”

After a successful road trip, the Longhorns will get to play their next seven matches at home, including their first Big 12 Conference matchup against Baylor on Sept. 21.